L'ami Gambit Guide Vol1 and 2

Today on playchess.com

5+0 Blitz tournament

– The classical blitz tournament starts at 8 pm. 5 minutes without increment, 9 rounds swiss system. View all events here!

News

Fritz 15 - English Version

New Fritz, new friend

€69.90

ChessBase Magazine 173

Enjoy the best moments of recent top tournaments (Shamkir, Paris and Leuven) with analysis of top players. In addition you'll get lots of training material. For example 13 new suggestions for your opening repertoire.

€19.95

Queen's Gambit Declined Powerbook 2016

For the Queen's Gambit Declined Powerbook we once again used above all high grade material: 90 000 games from Mega and from correspondence chess, but these are of high quality. Added to that are 410 000 games from the engine room on playchess.com.

€9.90

Complete Nimzo-Indian Powerbook 2016

We have included the whole E00-E59 complex in our “Complete Nimzo-Indian Powerbook 2016”. It is based, e.g., on 45 000 games from the Mega database and 4000 correspondence games. The lion’s share is made up of the 245 000 games from the engine room.

€9.90

The Semi-Slav

The Semi-Slav (1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 e6) can arise via various moveorders, has decided World Championships, and is one of Black’s most fascinating replies to 1 d4. Nielsen explains in detail what this openign is all about.

€29.90

The Black Lion - an aggressive version of the Philidor Defense

The Lion gets ready to roar after 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e5 4.Nf3 Nbd7 5.Bc4 Be7 6.0–0 c6 – and now Black wants to attack with an early ...g5.

€29.90

Power Play 23: A Repertoire for black with the Queen's Gambit Declined

On this DVD Grandmaster Daniel King offers you a repertoire for Black with the QGD. The repertoire is demonstrated in 10 stem games, covering all White’s major systems: 5 Bg5, 5 Bf4, and the Exchange Variation.

€29.90

Advertising
Books, boards, sets: Chess Niggemann

Ketevan to be operated in Berlin in April

3/30/2013 – We recently reported that during the Women's World Chess Team Championship, which was held from March 2nd to 12th in Astana, Kazakhstan, one participant, Georgian IM Salome Melia, was not playing only for the honour of her country, but also for her daughter, four-month-old daughter Ketevan, who desperately needs a heart operation. Here's how things developed.
ChessBase 13 Download

ChessBase 13 Download

ChessBase 13 is a personal, stand-alone chess database that has become the standard throughout the world. Everyone uses ChessBase, from the World Champion to the amateur next door. It is the program of choice for anyone who loves the game and wants to know more about it. Start your personal success story with ChessBase and enjoy your chess even more.

More...

Salome's infant daughter was born with a pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect and major aorto-pulmonary collaterals (MAPCA), which those of you who are interested can read all about here. Until recently, the outcomes of patients born with this defect were extremely grim. In the early surgical era they had only a 20% chance of being alive at the age of 30 years. Today prospect are much better, with full repair rates of over 80% being achieved. In some cases this is accomplished in one operation, but usually for long-term survival into adulthood a multistage approach is required.

Unfortunately the procedures required by Ketevan are very difficult and unfortunately impossible do perform in Georgia. Enquiries in America, e.g. at the Stanford University Medical Center, revealed that the cost of initial treatment there would be between US $500,000 and $1,500,000. If you are astounded by the price – fifteen times more than for the German heart center below, you should read the recent Time Magazine cover story that generated a great deal of discussion in the national and international community.

Fortunately the family discovered that the operation could be performed at the German Heart Center in Berlin, at a cost of €60,000. This included complex interventional heart catheterization and complex and complicated surgery utilizing the heart-lung machine, with a maximum of five days for the complex, interventional heart catheterization and 27 days for the complex and complicated surgery utilizing the heart-lung machine of hospitalization. Standard room accommodation is provided for the child and her partents.

Salome Melia sent us the following letter:

I wish to express my heartfelt thanks to you for your helpfulness and kindness, solidarity and readiness to help. Thanks to you I've managed to gather the required funds to conduct the surgery to my daughter. Many helped anonymously, so without mentioning each and everyone - THANK YOU! And special thanks to the main sponsor. I also thank the members of the Women's World Team Championship, coaches, captains, journalists, organizers, my team and whole Georgia. Thanks to the ACP and national chess federations, journalists and websites, which have published my call for help.

There was another doner, who contacted ChessBase after they published the story. He is a chess player but now active in investment banking. Incredibly he offered to pay the amount that was still needed for an operation. We put him in touch with Salome, and later she told us:

This doner, who wishes to remain unnamed, expressed readiness to cover the expenses if some of the other donors would not manage to transfer the sum to the hospital on time. He transferred the amount that was still missing to the German Heart Center in Berlin, and provided me a guarantee of covering the expenses for some extra days that might be necessary for staying at hospital. When we asked him why he was doing such a valuable favour he answered: "It's a baby, and deserves to live." There are still some truly incredible people in the world. In addition, an unknown donor company from Russia helped us greatly.

In addition to the above Salome has wrote us the following:

I would like to say special thanks to those chess players, who were ready to collect the amount of money among them to cover the cost of operation in case the needed sums were not allocated. Additionally, I would like to thank the participants of London Candidates Tournament. One of them contributed significantly one minute after reading the story; the rest of the participants expressed readiness to help in case of necessity. They are not only great chess players but they are full of valuable personal traits. I cordially wish them health and success.

We will be travelling to Berlin on April 2nd.

The journey is not over, there will be additional costs. We ask journalists to appeal to the chess community, philanthropists and ask to help Salome Melia in her difficult situation. You can send money to this account:

Beneficiary: Salome Melia
Number of account: GE57PC0193600100007067
Bank code (SWIFT): MIBGGE22
Name of bank: ProCredit Bank, Tbilisi, Georgia
address of bank: 21 Al. Kazbegi Ave., 0160 Tbilisi, Georgia.

Our readers can also make donations using PayPal. Name: Olena Prusikin, email: hkiss@web.de. All money received will be used exclusively for the operations and the post-operative care of Ketevan. If any is left over it will be donated to a charity for infants with heart diseases.

Feedback and mail to our news service Please use this account if you want to contribute to or comment on our news page service
Topics Melia

See also

Discuss

Rules for reader comments

 
 

Not registered yet? Register